Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Real Men, Real Dads.

The original picture. They printed it upside down in the exhibit and in the book. Oh well.
A while back I posted this about the photo I entered in the Real Men’s Project. The photo has been hanging at our local hospital with the rest of the entries for about a year. It’s in the hallway between the parking ramp and the E R so usually you see it when there is an issue or an emergency. While I am thrilled to have this on display, I was a little sad by the location. But hey, what can you do? Well now the photo, along with the rest of the exhibit is now in a book. Tonight is the “official” book release here in Jackson and I am very excited.


Always the drama queen, Anna and me at the exhibit. Thankfully we weren't there for an emergency.
More on the book here:Just in time for Father’s Day, “Real Dads” is a moving collection of photographs and essays that capture loving fathers at their best: an adult man writes gratefully about his stay-at-home father, a gay man writes about his dad’s surprising reaction to his coming out, a father writes about his daughter’s sexual assault and her healing. “Real Dads” offers hope and a reminder that every day fathers make the world a better place, one child at a time.
Our local paper had this to say about it: Its new book, “Real Dads: Men Embracing Nonviolence,” is a collection of photos, short memoirs and essays composed by fathers and by children about their fathers. The book was released online under the same title last year, but only contained the photographs. Timm Richardson of Jackson contributed an essay about calling his father to tell him he was gay and then again to tell him he was HIV positive. “What I really liked about this (project) was that I got to write it,” Richardson said. “It was in my own words.” All the entries have a common purpose — ending domestic and sexual violence and promoting understanding through fathers setting a positive example.
On Father’s Day, said Dani Meier, who contributed to the book, “we should really focus on the role dads have in modeling healthy relationships for their sons and daughters.” Meier also founded the Jackson Real MEN’s Project.“(Fathers) have a responsibility,” Meier said. “They have to show their kids that violence isn’t OK.” The book is the latest in a series of productions by the organization with the same theme, including a gallery of photographs portraying fathers and their children, which has been on display at Allegiance Health since last year.

A portion of the proceeds from the book will go to Dochas Inc., a Jackson-based nonprofit that works with at-risk children. If you would like to order this book, and I think you should, please go to www.realmensproject.org and order from there.

 If you want it signed by me, let me know, I’d be honored.


 

"I looked at the book and, quite frankly, it's gorgeous." Dr. Michael Kimmel, The Invisible Sex: Masculinity in Contemporary America

“I opened this book with the eyes and heart of a former bookseller, but what I found encouraged me as a daughter, wife, and mother. Every photo in this book reminds me that ordinary men who are bold enough to do the real work of being a dad make all the difference in our world.” Bridget Rothenberger, Nomad Bookhouse “The photographs are beautiful and the ideas are truly admirable.” Alan Alda, Actor & Writer

"I looked at the book and, quite frankly, it's gorgeous." Dr. Michael Kimmel, The Invisible Sex: Masculinity in Contemporary America

“I opened this book with the eyes and heart of a former bookseller, but what I found encouraged me as a daughter, wife, and mother. Every photo in this book reminds me that ordinary men who are bold enough to do the real work of being a dad make all the difference in our world.” Bridget Rothenberger, Nomad Bookhousee child at a time.

2 comments:

  1. I own this book :) Just bought it at Anna's last week! Its beautiful and I recognized your photo right away :) I love Dani Meijer, he is a great man. He has helped me more then I think he knows. I support everything this book is about and I am sooo happy you are a part of it Tom!

    - Kristen Andrews

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, for real you'll sign it? And maybe Anna, too? I just ordered it for my dad. He'd be even more thrilled with father/daughter autographs.

    ReplyDelete