Friday, September 3, 2010

Fatherhood Friday: Musings on my Muses... or what inspires me

My kids are my muses, and I find a great deal of wonder and fun in their daily lives. As an artist, and as a parent, I document our lives by taking photos, creating a trail of images and memories from birth right on up to yesterday. While some of the photos I take are staged, many of the images in our collections are spontaneous and a reaction to the current situation and environment. How my kids respond is what makes these images so much fun to view. My daughter is a genuine ham and knows how to make the most of her time in front of the camera; she makes my job as the photographer easy. My son, upon seeing the camera will smile and say “cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeese” until his photo is snapped.


The ancient muses were believed to inspire all artists, especially poets, philosophers, and musicians, I wonder if my kids can also un-inspire me and become a hindrance. While they physically are the body of most of my work, they can also work very quickly to suck any innovation and energy out of my projects. It’s tough to balance being a parent, working full time, and trying to develop my secondary career as a working artist. As much as I love em, they can bring me to a state of total artistic chaos with one dinner or outing paired with their toddler/preschool antics.

I need to work on that balance, finding inspiration in the mundane and the moments that I want to pull my hair out as well. So dear readers, what inspires you?

4 comments:

  1. You want to know what inspires me? You. You and your family inspire me!

    You make me feel that one day, even if it is way into the future (I'm 17) I can have a family, I can have a wonderful husband, and beautiful children and a great life! All I have to do is really work for it but I can be happy.

    So, thank you, all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My children definitely inspire me.

    However,do you know what? The idea that all of my hard work to develop myself will one day inspire them, really inspires me. As a woman, I want my children to watch me excel, to reach for more. I want them to know that we can all be an active, motivated, advocate for good in the world. I want them to be proud of me and to seek the good they find in me in others. Hopefully they will ignore my ADD, shopaholic, always tardy tendencies and lean towards the over achieving side of me. :)

    ReplyDelete