Tuesday, March 24, 2009



The book is a year older than me, and I can’t wait for it to come to the big screen. I don’t remember this book as a kid, but I am certain that it was read to me. I remember totally falling for it in high school when a friend of mine brought it in as her favorite book.
It’s only ten paragraphs long, but it’s a powerhouse of a story.
Anna loves it, and doesn’t seem to be scared of the wild things as many children are. We will get to the part where Max decrees that the wild rumpus should start... Anna will say "rumpus, rumpus, rumpus!" as we look at the pages illustrating the beasts and Max doing just that.



I found this online while putting this entry together and it made me laugh out loud.
In the book The Art of Maurice Sendak the following is noted in a conversation between a mother and the author:
Mother: “Every time I read the book to my daughter, she screams.”
Sendak: “Then why did you continue reading it to her when she does not like it?”
Mother: “She ought to, it’s a Caldecott book.”
Sendak mentioned that he thought that was ridiculous and “if a child does not like a book, throw it in the trash.”


So, Spike Jonze, we can’t wait to see what you can do. October can’t come quick enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment