Friday, April 15, 2011

Gay (Single) Parenting

What a week it has been, I am so glad it is coming to an end. Tod has been away at camp with his 6th graders and I have been doing the single parent thing all week. You may remember when I wrote about this a few years back. While I may have openly mocked Bristol Palin and Brit Brit on this blog, it’s more for their stupid behavior than for being a single parent. My hat is off to all those who are doing it on their own for whatever reason.


It’s a lot of work.

We had to call in the reinforcements from Ohio as I had to teach all day yesterday and we needed someone to watch the kids until I got home. Grandma and Grandpa Oakley came to the rescue and surprised Anna when she got off of the bus yesterday afternoon. We have stopped telling Anna about future events as she obsesses over them and makes everyone miserable with her worrying, so this was something she wasn’t expecting. The kids got to play and hang out with G and G and they didn’t seem to mind us being gone. It was nice to come home to a quiet and clean house after a long day at work. Needless to say, I am eager to have my husband home again, not only to help with the kids, but because I miss him as well. I know Eli, our resident Daddy’s boy, is eager to have him home too. Each morning I would hear “Dada?” as I opened his door and then I would get a pouty “no Papa” as he realized it was me. Yup, Anna and I are pretty much chopped liver to him. To his defense, he is a creature of habit. Tod is usually the one who wakes him up each morning, so he is totally out of routine.

Our lives have been pretty crazy over the past few weeks with spring break and all; we’re hoping that these next few weeks will be a little calmer and a bit more normal, whatever the hell that is. I have come to the realization that there is no such thing as normal when it comes to parenting. You roll with the punches and do what you can.

What have YOU been up to dear reader?

5 comments:

  1. I'm retired! But have a grown daughter and her 18 year old son living with me, so am still parenting!!! Parenting never ends, and sometimes the hurt you feel seems so deep it cuts like a knife.
    I feel like I failed somewhere along the line because the distance between my daughter and son is like a chasm that can never be repaired.
    Keep your two in closeness and love them with all your heart. They will grow up so quickly!

    JE

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jimmie Earl - I don't think most parents fail, I think we really do the best we can and it is just so hard and so many things which we don't have control over that shape our children. One definitely has their heart walking around outside their body when they choose to have children, that is for sure.

    Tom - great post - whenever Steve leaves town I take a moment to appreciate all the single parents I know who do not have the comfort that comes with the knowledge that reinforcements WILL return.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what you mean. Aaron's previous job required him to be gone 2 weeks out of the month, on average. Now that he is not traveling as much the small trips he does have to take are pure hell.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just plodding along, trying to get my life settled here in Chicago. Too many needs and not enough money, but I manage somehow. I can't complain though, at least I am not in LA anymore

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not much, really. Thank you for asking though!
    I've been up to my ears in work and haven't had time to much else on nights or weekends. This weekend I hope to do something else - perhaps make a few more shirts.

    ReplyDelete