Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Baring it all for Art

This Friday will be a big night for me, a night that will have my nerves on end and my stress level at 11. The show “Mine/Yours” at the Gallery Project opens that night, and I worked with another artist in town to create a piece called “Born this Way” for the show. There are some who feel that I share too much on this blog and that the level of TMI is way too much. Well, this is nothing compared to what is on display at the gallery. Isaac and I photographed each other naked and these photos, 12 total, 6 of me, 6 of him, split at the waistline tell a very telling story.

What is mine? What is yours?

How are we alike, how are we different? I won’t give away what makes this piece so special. Those of you that know Isaac will understand, those that don’t, you’ll just need to come to the gallery and see for yourself.
Yes, doing a nude shot was tough, but I ask it of my models all the time (for both here at home and at JCC), and I for once was on the other side of the camera. I was sharing the layout of the prints with Gloria, one of the gallery owners and I remarked that this was probably more of me than she ever wanted to see. She laughed and said, “I’m a Mom, I’ve seen it all.”

So, if you want to see it all, by all means, stop by the Gallery Project in Ann Arbor. The opening reception is this Friday, February 25 from 6 to 9. Consider yourself invited. They are located here: 215 South 4th Avenue, Ann Arbor, MI 48194.

More on the show here:

Gallery Project presents Mine Yours, a multimedia exhibit in which 30 local, regional and national artists explore at various system levels issues of possession, boundaries, privacy and encroachment. At the interpersonal level Mine Yours looks at real and artificial barriers people create to separate themselves from others; at the group level the social symbols groups latch onto to establish their uniqueness; and at the international level the disputes nations have over territory, water rights, and air space. The changing relationships between governments and their citizenry will be explored in the context of growing surveillance in the ages of terrorism, globalism, and information technology. Finally, human pathologies, resulting from some of these phenomena will also be explored such as hoarding and various addictions people develop as they retreat further into real or imagined safe havens. Mine/Yours invites participating artists to comment visually on these social phenomena, and their varied impacts and behavioral adaptations. T

Contributors include Adrian Blackwell, Tom Carey, Rocco DePietro, Renee Dooley, Isaac Dunigan,Alonzo Edwards, Daniel Farnum, Diane Farris, Jason Ferguson, Todd Frahm, Mark Hereld, Megan Hildebrandt, Jane Hutton, Joe Johnson, Joseph I. Insley, Mark Kersey, Michael Kersey, Christopher Lee, Tom McMillen-Oakley, Janice Milhem, Mario Moore, Erin Moran, Sabrina Nelson, Lori Nix, Tim Pewe, Gloria Pritschet, David Reuter, Mona Shahid, Peter Williams and Viktor Witkowski.

The gallery’s website is: http://www.thegalleryproject.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment