Tuesday, May 12, 2009

And now for something completely different: Tilt Shift



I first became aware of tilt shift photography when I watched Olivo Barbieri’s short film “Site Specific.” He flew over major cities and landmarks in a helicopter filming the populous below. The end result is a magical view that casts the appearance of everything being in miniature. It’s as if you are looking at a massive model train set.

When I first watched it, I thought that he had indeed made replicas of all these cities in some artistic fit of obsessive compulsive disorder. But after a few moments of research on the internets, I realized that it was all a trick, a lovely, hypnotic, amazing trick.

I have experimented with this as an application, and I love the results. I have created a photoset on our Flickr account that highlights some of the efforts. Please to enjoy.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mcmillen-oakley/sets/72157617947183431/

1 comment: