Monday, December 24, 2012

A very special holiday message from JH2D, 2012


I had a boyfriend in college named Steve. He was from Texas and was a big ol’ Bubba. Our time together was short, as he was HIV positive. However during this time; I became very close with him and his family. Steve passed away on Christmas Day 1993. As I mention in my book, my first thoughts each Christmas morning are of Stephen and our time together.
Each year I get a card from his mom, this year was no exception. I was home alone recovering from my foot surgery when the mail came the other day. I struggled to pick the mail up off the floor from my wheelchair, and cart it to the dining room table in my lap. I began to open cards and read them while I drank a cup of tea. The card from his mom had this written on the inside:
Dear Family
About two week before Stephen passed away some of my lady friends were in his room visiting. He said “Well ladies, I will soon be driving my ‘heavenly bus in the sky’ and I will be there to pick you up when your time comes around. Don’t be late, because the buses don’t wait for no one!”
After the shooting in Connecticut, I light a candle by Stephen’s picture knowing in my heart he was there to pick up those children and their little spirits and take them to a peaceful place.
What a beautiful family you have. 
All my love.
Rose Mary.
I was stunned by the simple beauty of this short note and sat for a moment with tears running down my face as I remembered Steve and tried to understand the tragedy in Connecticut. We recently attended the annual Christmas in the City Cabaret at the Michigan Theatre here in Jackson. It’s our yearly break from the insanity of the holidays and the craziness the kids bring with the season. The song that stuck with me the most was their rendition of “Let there be peace on Earth” which was dedicated to those that lost their lives that horrible day a few weeks ago. I normally pass on this chestnut of a tune, but for some reason, this year it seemed right to hear.
Light a candle for someone you love today and rekindle their memory during this darkest time of year.
It is my hope that you and yours are well and that you might enjoy the peace that we all need and desire.
Tom, Tod, Anna, and Eli.


3 comments:

  1. Hi, there--I just came across your page while surfing and waiting for our Christmas Eve tamales to finish cooking. Your post here really touched me and inspired me to light a candle tonight in memory of my mom. She died two years ago from cancer--much too soon. We never had a great relationship and didn't see eye to eye on many things, but things between us was getting better just before she got sick. It all happened so fast, and I regret not having more time with her. I guess I can only cherish the time I did have, but it still is very bittersweet around the holidays. Anyway, thank you for that reminder. You have a beautiful family and Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely tribute; thank you for sharing it
    May 2013 be your best year yet !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing. I am making the time to light candles this week for all the wonderful men in my life that helped shape my view of the world who left me too soon. I keep putting it off, i need to honor their memory and celebrate the time i had with them. My grandad, my dad, and my Travis.

    ReplyDelete