Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Opposites Attract

Yesterday afternoon Anna’s Daisy Scouts came into my studio at the college to earn their pottery badges. It was thrilling to have that many young, eager minds ready to work and have fun in the studio. They were generally excited and oooo’d and aaahh’d over every little thing we presented them. They gleefully made their projects without whining and did a great job in cleaning up. I tell ya, it’s enough to make me want to go back to teaching K 12. Yes college students, I am talking about YOU!


One of Anna’s fellow students is the daughter of my oral surgeon. We’ve had some pretty interesting conversations (when I am not sedated in her chair) and we both have a love of the arts at our core being and do what we can to promote and share the arts in our community. She showed up yesterday in her scrubs, looking completely out of place in my dusty, dirty, and NOT sterile studio. We both got a good laugh over the fact that for her to do her job well, she needs to remain as clean as possible and work in a sterile environment. Sure she gets dirty (and often times, bloody) while she does her work, but her goal is to remain as clean as possible. For that, us patients are very glad.

Me, on the other hand, I am just the opposite. We make no guarantees of cleanliness, as a matter of fact, we openly warn people to watch where they sit, and to expect to get dirty while in the room. I once had a Dean come in for a quick meeting in the studio and she left with a white dust ring on her butt. Yeah, that was an awkward conversation to have.

But back to the dirt… if I am doing my job well, I will leave the college covered in dust and with clay in my hair and on my clothes. I stopped by the grocery on the way home one night and one of my former students looked at me as I was checking out and asked me if I had a busy day in the studio. I gave her a funny look, said “Yes” and then asked her how she knew I was in the studio. She pointed at my forehead and the giant streak of clay running across it.

Yup, it was a good day indeed.

2 comments:

  1. Definitely agree, I'd much rather have the clean oral surgeon working on my teeth ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. On the same note it'd be very bad to have a clean artist teaching with clay, paint, or anyother medium. artists are suposed to be grubby that's how you can tell they are really into it!

    ReplyDelete