Friday, November 5, 2010

Fatherhood Friday: Walking in my shoes part 2

As a parent, I am reminded daily that my task is a great one. I am under a microscope each day at work, as my students watch and study (when they’re not on their damn phones texting) everything I do. The same is true with Anna and Eli. Now that school is in full swing, our time with them is limited each day. From the frantic rushing around in the morning to the meltdown hour at 4, we have just a few hours with them to interact and make a positive difference. But with life and all the other responsibilities in the world, it’s easy to forget that fact. I will admit that it was easier with one child, and we’re slowly finding a groove with two, but this is something that we are working on each day. Anna and I have about 30 minutes each morning to sit and read, talk, do art, or just stare out the door together as we wait for her bus to come. I enjoy that time, as I can’t do anything else; it’s my daily moment of Anna Zen.


Eli is now quickly moving into the Terrible Twos, something that we avoided with Anna. His personality has always been strong, but now it’s coming out big time (as well as his wicked sense of humor). Each request to do something is greeted with a “NO!” or an exasperated “okaaaaaaay” as he begrudgingly does what was asked. He’s slowly picking up more and more words and communication is becoming easier as his vocabulary grows. It’s fun to observe the differences between the male and female toddler. I can’t say yet which is easier, but I do know that I will be glad when this phase is done.

But back to the whole parenting thing… I hope that someday Eli will follow in my footsteps and not in the footsteps of his biological parents. I know that I am not perfect, but I want to be the best role model for this young man each and every day. Some kids don’t get a second chance with their influences or their parents, Eli has, and I am honored to be part of that.

1 comment:

  1. ''I know that I am not perfect, but I want to be the best role model for this young man each and every day. ''

    Which is a huge part of why you're such a fantastic father and a superb role model.

    ReplyDelete