Friday, June 4, 2010

Fatherhood Friday: Tattoo: A love story

Went in yesterday afternoon to get my sleeve started on my right arm. I decided to dedicate the arm to children's lit, and am having it filled with characters from my favorite, as well as my kid's favorite books. Characters such as Max, Olivia, Little Bear, Hop on Pop, and Harold will now find a home on my new sleeve.


The fun part will be the spider web from Charlotte's Web on my elbow. There is some speculation that a spider web signifies that you are a racist or have done time. I am not a racist, nor have I done time. The web will spell out TERRIFIC! and will hang above Olivia (Ian Falconer's creation) instead of Wilbur from the story.

Tod suggested that I get the web to say SOME PIG! but I declined.

The outlining is done, now we wait for this to heal and we’ll think about what to do next. Bill, the tattoo artist thinks that some Wild Things foliage and Suessian trees would fit the space nicely. We’ll see.

Until then, once the area heals, I am going to give Anna a pack of washable markers and let her have at my arm. Perhaps a color scheme will come from that.

P.S. The title of this entry is from a great movie that I was somewhat involved with here in Jackson. If you are a fan of indy films and love tattoos, this one is for you! I am honored and thrilled to know one of the stars and his family.

P.S.S. You can find Bill and his crew at Depot Town Tattoo here: http://depottowntattoo.com/home.html



10 comments:

  1. I am a big fan of tattoo's. The tattoo's I got when I was eighteen were not very imaginative. It took my wife and daughter to inspire more imaginative and artistic tattoo's. I have to say from the pictures the end result should be phenomenal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely FANTASTIC! If I wasnt so skittish on tatts, THAT would be the way I would go...you have listed all my little ones fav's!

    Kudos to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is pretty cool, can't wait to see it all done. Good idea not going with Some Pig

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks to you all for the good comments. @ Bella, it's wise to be skittish. They are addictive.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like Tod's suggestion of "Some Pig". It can mean so many things.
    Your Friend, m.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are quite amazing.
    I like the theme of kids' books that you've got going. Can't wait to see when it's finished.

    ReplyDelete
  7. by now, you must be completely covered with tattoos, yes?

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're lucky your kids have taste. Imagine if you had to get American Idol and High School Musical tattoos...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your blog makes me smile.

    Callum.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very cool. Are you taking suggestions? Good. How about some of the characters from the Phantom Tollbooth? A Humbug or a Waychdog would look pretty sweet in that space, I'm thinking.

    Happy Father's day!

    ReplyDelete