Friday, April 23, 2010

Gayer than Gay?

This week’s episode of GLEE was the all Madonna themed show. Yes, I am super-Gay for knowing this, and I am even Gayer for actually tearing up during the show. It was fun, surprisingly well done, and to me, demonstrated what a talent Madonna really is.

I found an old Live Journal entry that I wrote when “Hard Candy” dropped back in 08, I thought I would share:

Today truly is a national holiday, it always is when a new Madonna CD comes out. So, a few of my students were running to Michael's to pick up some art stuff, and since I am stuck here until 9 tonight, I tossed Murphy a $20 and asked her to pick up "Hard Candy" for me. Yeah, I am the gay for doing that, but hey, what's a true blue fan to do if he has to work all day when her CD comes out? So far, I like it a lot. It's not her typical stuff, but it had us bobbing and dancing in the studio as we previewed it, we were all pretty much into the groove.

The remixes will probably be killer, can't wait to hear all of them. Not sure what D.J.s are in voque right now, but they certainly have a lot to express themselves with then they hear this. I hate to rain on anyone's parade, but this truly a great work of art. Certainly not bedtime story material, as you'll want to go and dance, but it isn't frozen in the 70's like the last CD. I could go deeper and deeper into my analysis, but I won't.

The day that "Confessions on a dancefloor" dropped was the day that Anna dropped into our lives. SInce we couldn't get into the hospital until 9, we dropped by a Target and picked it up on the way to take her home from the hospital. Years from now when she reads this, she'll probably end up in therapy for that... but hey, she'll live to tell. I doubt she'll be too hung up on the fact that I put getting Madonna over rushing to get her from the hospital. We'll talk, but she'll probably just say... Papa don't preach.


6 comments:

  1. Hey, I'm a Madonna fan as well… but I'm not gay... I don't think. Shit, I recognized all the hidden references. I better go tell my parents (and put on the pointy, pointy bra I’ve been saving for just this kind of occasion).

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, you might not be gay. You might be a 13-year-old girl (my daughter) who also tears up over Glee. =)

    I've always felt that Madonna was an under rated talent, but I've never felt sorry for her because her fans love her and she's made plenty of money. The thing I admire most about her is how hard she works. She continues to become a better singer, dancer and songwriter. I can think of no better role model for my daughter . . . Or my gay friends . . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read many Madonna books to students as a way of better understanding how MEANNESS hurts others. Yes, you read that correctly! She did the stories to help children understand just how words and acts of cruelty hurt others AND themselves. She does more than dance, sing, marry, and divorce. She is a mom, she is female, and she understands people more than many. Thanks. Linda Connolly

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was once asked to leave a house as i did not recognize a Madonna tune.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just wanted to let you know I tagged you in my last post. Totally no pressure! - you can skip - especially if you're the kind who finds those things irritating ; )

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ Res Dad... if you end up putting on the pointy bra, do take pics.

    ReplyDelete