Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Papa's wish list


It all started a few weeks before Thanksgiving. While watching T.V. Anna would yell “I WANT THAT!” at everything that popped up on the commercials on Nickelodeon or Nick Jr. We handed her a Target toy ad insert a while back and asked her to circle what she wanted. It took her most of the morning, but she methodically circled every goddamned thing in the ad.
Well, she’s not the only person in our house that has a wish list. I have one too. Papa has been relatively good this year, so I feel confident asking the big guy (uh, Santa, duh!) for the following items:
1. I want to go to bed and sleep, and I would like to wake up on my own rested and ready for the day.
2. I want clothing that doesn’t need to be washed. The Sisyphean task of laundry with two kids takes the life out of me.
3. Is it too much to ask for quiet dinners? Really, I would like to have some sparkling conversation and talk about the day instead of screaming and yelling.
4. Kids that will eat anything that is presented to them and not complain and toss it on the floor? PLEASE? I am getting so tired of chicken nuggets and yogurt.
5. With that said, I want a dog that will actually come in and clean up ANYTHING that is on the floor. Oscar, I really miss you.
6. And while I am on it, a self-cleaning house with toys that put themselves away would be nice.
7. A cow, for milk. Honestly, after bananas, the next thing on the grocery list each week is milk. A few years ago, a coworker bought a flock of geese in my name for some poor village somewhere. At the time, I thought it was a nice gesture, but now I wish she would buy me a cow for my backyard. And, if it came with udders that provided both 2% and whole milk, that would be great.

Really Santa, I have been good. My nerves have been tested with these two kids, but I think I have done okay, so has Tod for that matter. See what you can do Mr. C. and we’ll see what we can do to keep your spirit alive on Greenwood for a few more years.

6 comments:

  1. LOL!!! Oh Man I Love You Guys! My partner and I have 3 children, David 21, Alex 20 and the youngest being our 14 y/o daughter whom we just adore. What a princess! But "Papa's Wish List" had me in stitches as I related to so much of it I thought maybe I had written it in my sleep. I envy you tho.... at least you get them to eat yogurt. Our Lil gal would rather have BK chicken fries than Lamb chops and getting her to really eat anything healthy is both fun and frustrating at once as her "avoidance tactics" are quite developed and a joy to watch.
    I did get my presents early this year I believe though as I got to take my daughter to her first KISS concert and had 9th row seats! OH! The wonder and excitement in her eyes! Being a KISS fan since I was 6 (1975) I felt I was passing on my own family tradition. But she was so happy and I found myself crying at innapropriate moments (like Gene's spitting blood bass solo. She was so thrilled. I was so teary at her big smile!).
    I feel I'm so lucky and blessed as I see you are too. There's no parallel for these feelings and memories we make everyday. Our sundays on the couch together watching "Wizards of Waverly Place" are priceless, with her swooning over the son and me all googly everytime David Delouise is on screen. LOL. She'll scream through the house "YOUR BOYFRIEND IS ON!!!!!" and I come running and jumping on the couch and we laugh like little.... kids together. Ok... Little girls. HAH!
    I apologize if I rambled, but it sure feels good to be able to share this magical life with others who live it too.
    The funniest thing is we were really concerned what would happen when her schoolmates found out she had two dads and the possible negativity that could go with it. But she's encountered more "You have Gay Dads??? THAT'S AWESOME!!!" comments and to the few negative comments her response is "You only wish your family was as cool as mine. My Dads take me to lots of concerts, they LOVE to shop and ACTUALLY HAVE GOOD TASTE(LOL), I have the best sleepovers and we have a recording studio in our house and 25 guitars!" Needless to say we end up with lots of sleepovers. Most of the time, the parents of the children show up to scout our home out for anything unacceptable, but end up staying and getting kicked out by their own children.LOL!
    We feel we are representatives of how truly happy and functional a same sex parent household can be and take it very seriously. We have alotta fun and do laugh alot, but we know when to be firm and crack down when neccessary. Lucky for us, our daughter is still a truly good girl, doesn't smoke, isn't interested in sex, drugs or dressing trashy and hasn't even had her first kiss yet (SHHH!! she'd kill me!) and we're fine with all that!
    It all goes by so fast. We're in no hurry. Bless you all this Holiday Season and I hope everyone including Papa gets what they wish for.
    If you wanna put in a good word for me, I'll take Two tickets to see Bon Jovi at Giants Stadium! I'VE BEEN GOOD!
    (But don't tell Santa about my Jovi tickets to Seattle, Tampa, Sunrise and Nashville. He may say I've gotten enough.)
    LOVE TO YOU ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    John, Lee, Cammie, Alex & David.

    ReplyDelete
  2. better ask for a pony next time.
    or cha cha heels - black ones.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi John, thanks for all the great words and the stories. It's good to know that there are others out there reading what I put on the blog and identifying with the madness.
    And, for the record, we haven't watched Wizards yet, we're still on I Carly, which I confess, I love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Ur-spo, at this point, a good night's sleep would be great. : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great list! If you get self-cleaning clothes, I know what I'm asking for next year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey what's the big idea..sStealing my xmas list! ok, i'll share it with you as your home sounds a lot like mine...oy!
    cheers!

    ReplyDelete