Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Losing my religion

A year ago next week, April 4th, Easter Sunday to be exact, was the last time I stepped foot in a church for a worship service and Martha Stewart as my witness, I shall never again. I had begun to have my doubts about organized religion earlier that spring, but as the Lenten season progressed and headed towards Easter; I became more and more detached. The reasons for my decision to leave have been discussed here in previous posts, so I don’t think they need rehashing at this time. There is a handy archive on the bottom right of this page for your convenience if you want to know more.


So what has happened during this time? Not much. As mentioned previously, I feel nothing spiritually. I felt like a total hypocrite that Sunday as the glorious organ in the church blasted out Wesley’s amazing hymn “Christ the Lord is Risen Today.” Helen Keller probably would have felt (and heard) more than I did that day. I would now call myself spiritually numb. The prayers that once brought me comfort now mean nothing. I drive by the mega churches here in Jackson and the bile rises in my stomach. I read about ministers using their pulpits to hurl their vile and spiritually corrupt sermons against my LGBT brethren and my heart sinks lower and lower. You can only hope and pray so much before you start to hit a spiritual brick wall, and you can only commit yourself to a church and then get rebuked so many times before you say “ENOUGH!” and move on.

And that’s what we (Tod and I) did. However, there is a still a member of our family who goes to Sunday School each week and who reminds us at our meals that we need to say a prayer. Anna still goes to the church next to us each week for Sunday school. While I think her motives are more for dress up and snacks than spiritual fulfillment, I can’t blame the girl for wanting to get fancy once a week. However, we remain detached and not involved with her spiritual growth. Eli knows nothing of church and at this point, I don’t really care if he ever does. I am glad we had him baptized, but now, I am wondering if it was really worth it for all the vows and promises we made that Sunday in the church that ultimately pushed me away from my faith.

Our year used to be marked by the liturgical calendar as it plodded through the various seasons of the church year. We would celebrate Advent and Lent, and look forward to the holidays that they brought. Now, we mark time a little differently. This year, we made a big fuss about Mardi gras and St. Patrick’s Day, and not for their religious meanings. We decked out the house in green, purple, and yellow and laissez les bons temps rouler throwing beads and makin’ whoopee to some New Orleans Jazz while eating shrimp gumbo and wolfing down some beignets.

So what about Easter this year? It’s hard to say at this point. For the first time since Anna was born, we will be somewhere besides our home for the holiday so it will definitely be different. For Eli, we’ll focus on the eggs and Peeps and the fun of finding what we hid at Grandma and Grandpa’s house. For Anna, I am certain she will go to church, but beyond that, who knows. My Celtic ancestors had strong ties to the seasonal changes, something the early Christian church understood and readily co-opted to their benefit. Maybe it’s time to get back to my inner-Pagan and look back in time instead of forward for how we mark time and celebrate the year. As spring slowly rears its lovely head here in Michigan, my faith in the world comes back, but my faith in organized religion has not. It will take more than a garden full of daffodils coming up to change my mind on that.

10 comments:

  1. The only problem with Anna going and you feeling this way is that there are obviously going to be questions. I am sure you and Tod will figure out how to answer them.

    My favorite during Sunday School was that a kid got all upset because we were studying the 10 commandments. One of them is honoring the Sabbath. Now His dad worked EVERY Sunday so this child was very upset with his dad. I said to the child "Does your dad have a day off?" and he said "Oh yeah every Wednesday he has time off." So between the two of us we decided good old dad could use Wednesday to honor the "Sabbath" even if it wasn't on Sunday

    I am probably not a very good “teacher” though because my belief is that God is very much like a parent, sure we upset him and hurt him when we do stupid things with our lives but there is nothing we can do that would make him turn us away or fall out of love with us!

    P.S. Love that the blog picked REM as an ad cause that song is now in my head from reading the title of your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think we need seasonal rituals, it is good for our psyches. So I think you can do something to mark the seasons; the kiddies will appreciate it I hope.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a former minister (UU), I'm always interested in why someone would leave a church community. As a gay man, I'm always fascinated by gay people who join churches that deny the fundamental humanity of their gay members (won't ordain gay people, preach that gay relationships are sinful, etc.).

    You've brought this up before, and it feels much like it's weighing on your mind. There are religious traditions out there that are affirming to gay people (UU, UCC, unprogrammed Quakers, Reconstructionist Judaism) but I also get the sense that you need a break from it all right now. however, I will say that when we're numb to something, then we're not allowing the feelings to come through, and they're percolating down below the surface. Eventually the will rise, sort of like magma out of the centre of the earth.

    Easter, as we all know, was borrowed from the Pagan holiday Eostar. It's a spring sun-return festival. Some of its rituals include leaving cakes out for the good people and fornicating in the fields to ensure a good crop.

    I wish you heart's ease during these times.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I wish there was something I could say to change your mind, but having never been in your situation, I can't really relate. I do know that God is still with you and Tod and your family. I don't think that just because you don't like "church" that God condemns you. There are times when I feel closer to Him sitting in my recliner, or out in the woods, than I do in the sanctuary of my own worship center.
    Right now, I don't particularly care for our pastor. He's a nice guy, but he just doesn't move me. Therefore, I go, and sing in the choir, and when the anthem is done, I go home. Or out to breakfast with family and friends. I know that God doesn't care that I do that. I am the only one in my whole family that goes to church, but we are all believers. We just choose to worship in our own way.
    Okay, Tom, enough of this "sermon" but you get my drift. Just don't give up on God. Look at Anna, Eli, and Tod, and ask yourself if God was working in your life to bring you all together.
    JE

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I could add or detract one thing from what Jimmie has said. Whether a person wants to believe it or not, we are spiritual beings. I don't blame you for giving up on "organized" religion, especially the Mega Church mentality we have gotten into here in the U.S. If Christ were to minister today, he definitely would have issues with what his church has become. I send you all blessings as you figure your way. Just because you don't venture into a building with four walls, doesn't mean you still can't have your faith. I wish you the best....

      Delete
  5. I hear ya, man. The religions spawned in the middle east such as christianity and islam seem to spew hate for all that is not exactly like their ideal. And maybe a look at the Pagan ways is the route to go, after all most christian holidays were originally pagan (and in my opinion, they had a lot more fun at their gatherings than the christians). As for Anna, it's nice to know that you guys are the kind of good parents that let her pursue what she wants to do even though you don't go to church anymore.:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Am at a loss for words...all I can say is... WOW! In this short post, you've single handledly printed every word and thought I've had over the years. THANK YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm an atheist simply because I don't think you can force faith. However, as a youngster I did attend St. John's United Church of Christ on Mechanic St. I had a really good experience there because they were very inclusive and very committed to social justice. When I was a teenager the church's...not sure what it's called... but almost a sort of headquarters? released a statement that said they were accepting of gays and lesbians and it wasn't that long ago that their ads including gay couples were getting banned on television stations. That being said, like in any church, not every member is going to think alike but when I was there a very active gay couple did a lot to help open the more close minded people up.

    Last summer my cousin (who, btw, is a gay atheist but also a member) chaperoned Jackson High's GLBT prom that was held there. . .we got to leave early because PFLAG were so well organized, but before we did we sat and talked to the minister's wife and to an elderly member of the church. They made their commitment to equality very clear in the discussion. When I was dealing with my own same sex attractions as a teenager they were really the one place that I wasn't afraid would judge me. So, as an atheist, I still have a soft spot for them and that sort of Christian teaching.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks to you all for your kind words and thoughts. I appreciate it!
    Tom

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Tom: So you're not religious, but it just ain't true that you're not spiritual. Perhaps it's all semantics. Your art flows from within you; it's not overly academic, or overly wrought. While it's smart and thought through, its basis isn't first and foremost in your head; it comes from another place. I've noticed this for years; it's part of why we're friends, it's part of why I (and others) are willing to let you photograph us in uhhhmmmm, compromising positions, shall we say. Because we know what you do will reflect your, and our spirits.

    But as others have said, don't confuse spirit with religion, or even with belief in a God. Being spiritual is, to some extent, about being in awe and in wonder about the world. About feeling the love you and Tod have for each other (and we all know that's BIG love!! hehehe) and for your kids. About teaching and being involved in your students' lives and developments. About decorating your house for each and every seasonal holiday to make it special for Anna and Eli (while, of course, simultaneously setting them up for lifetimes of letdowns as their future holidays don't begin to live up to what you do for them as kids . . . hehehe).

    So you may be atheist, but you are most definitely not without spirit. And whether your kids go to church or just play in the amazing home you and Tod have created for them, whether they worship or learn to take photos that are more than snapshots, and to wear fashion and dance with RuPaul rather than say the Lord's Prayer, you're raising your kids spiritually, and in love.

    So all's good!

    Happy it's almost full moon again, and the tulips are out!

    Much love,
    Charley

    ReplyDelete